Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Taktaszada Parish Records

Much of you know that about two years ago I undertook a massive transcribing project for Tiszadob. It's not complete and I've directed my attention to a new target: Taktaszada.

The Taktaszada parish records began much earlier than Tiszadob (which began in 1786). Their record keeping began in 1755 with baptisms. It wasn't until 1733 that the death/burial and marriages finally began to be recorded as well. It's a shame they didn't begin in 1755 as well, but that's the luck of the genealogist.

To date, I have the marriage records are complete. They cover the years 1733-1895. Although I did originally begin the death/burial records next, I thought it a much better idea to begin the baptism instead. The baptism is a much more higher priority to researchers. As of right now, I have 1755-1793 complete. I have 102 more years to complete.

I've been researching in Hungarian parish records for nearly 10 years now. It still astounds me that the extensive amount families never really moved or left their hometown. People from Tiszadob stayed in Tiszadob.. people from Taktaszada stayed in Taktaszada. Only sometimes they would marry into a neighboring village's family. So because of this, it's not uncommon to be related to most (if not all) of the residents of the village at the time. It's nothing about cousins marrying cousins, but it definitely reminds me of the deep south families of America. The families of a town were so closely connected. We all are truly related to everyone. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment